Sunday, February 20, 2011

Saw a pretty neat movie this afternoon, "I am Number Four."  I knew it was about aliens but I didn't expect it to be such an interesting plot.  Then we spent 2 hours at the commissary.  I know it seems excessive, but in order to save money, it's a necessity.  In this case, I saved $25 in coupons--all for stuff I needed already and stuff that's good for you.  I find it's cheaper to shop "around the edges" of the grocery store--basically, 90% of my food comes from the meat, produce, dairy, deli and bakery.  I usually try to limit myself to items found in the middle of the store--that's where all the processed aka pricier stuff is.  If I find staples on sale such as canned beans or soups, I'll buy a couple to keep in the pantry. 

What we had for dinner:  Sausage, Peppers, & Penne Pasta

1 box whole wheat penne
1 pkg Italian sausage links
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 of each:  red, yellow, and orange peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
a handful of fresh basil OR 1 TBSP dried basil
1 tsp oregano

Boil water for the pasta, when boiling, throw in the pasta.  Fry the sausages until browned.  Slice into 1/2" slices.  Brown the onions & garlic, then add the sliced peppers.  Cook for about 10 minutes, then add spaghetti sauce and sausages and simmer for 10 minutes.  Drain pasta and top with sausage/pepper mixture.  Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Meal costs about $6 and served 5 people with 2+ servings left over for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment